Last month on one of my weekly group coaching calls…
…one of my BlackBelt members (I’ll call him John for confidentiality) mentioned that he was becoming increasingly fed up and frustrated with a problem client and was unsure how to move forwards.
The client was starting to take up much more of Johns and his teams time, was often rude when dealing with them and was often bad a paying on time.
After speaking to myself and some of my other members, it was decided that the only option was for John to fire this client.
But naturally, he was nervous…
After all, the client was his largest (£30,000 per year) and was worth just less than 10% of his current annual turnover.
Despite his nerves, John went on to fire this client a few days later and here’s what happened as a result:
- John freed up a huge amount of time where he could go out and win new A+ clients. In fact, just 2 weeks later he signed up 1 client that replaced half of the fee he had lost.
- Johns team are now much happier that they don’t have to deal with the problem client and as a result are more motivated.
- As a result of his action, John has demonstrated leadership to the rest of his team by saying ‘we won’t settle for bad clients’.
Firing clients might seem counter-productive when you’re trying to grow your practice, but in actual fact it will help you grow even faster.
By removing clients that are problematic, you make room for A+ clients.
These are the clients that:
- Are enjoyable to work with
- Want to buy more of your services because they recognise the value
- Treat you and your team with absolute respect
- Are profitable
- Generate referrals for your practice
And when you make a decision to only work with A+ clients, your practice will develop and grow faster than it has before.
When was the last time you fired a bad client from your practice?
Maybe now is the time to move a few on….